Infertility workup sounds heavy and complicated, and many people don’t even know this term or what it means. Don’t worry, this blog will surely help you and explain what infertility workup is in the easiest way possible.
What is Infertility Workup?
To identify the reason behind the fertility issue that is keeping the couple from becoming parents and making them unable to conceive, and who are unable to become pregnant despite 6 to 12 months of regular intercourse without any contraception, an infertility workup is highly recommended for them, which includes a variety of tests and examinations.
How does the couple benefit from the infertility workup process?
Infertility workup is an effective and necessary process for couples who have had difficulty conceiving for a long time. The infertility workup includes various tests for both the male and female partners to determine what is preventing them from having a baby and the mother from becoming pregnant.
This infertility workup helps with:
– diagnosing the cause behind infertility in males and females
– to identify a potential cause of infertility in a couple that can be easily treated
– to determine what additional testing is required to treat the couple’s fertility issue.
What factors will your doctor take into account during the infertility evaluation?
Several factors will be considered by your doctor during the infertility workup to help determine the cause of the drop in male or female fertility, such as:
– both the male and female age factors;
– female medical health, including puberty age, menstrual cycle frequency and regularity, miscarriage and abortion history, and etc;
– any medical conditions that may affect fertility, such as endometriosis, uterine fibroids, STIs, and etc;
– the presence of any chronic disease, such as diabetes, hypertension, autoimmune disease, and etc;
– a family history of genetic disease or inability to conceive a child;
– some lifestyle factors, such as inactivity, body mass index, occupation, smoking and drinking habits, and so on.
– both the partners will also be examined by the doctors, who will also check the male’s genitalia and the female’s cervix smear.
Fertility tests at Pahlajanis’ IVF Clinic
There are several tests that we perform in order to understand the type of fertility issue patients have and the potential reason behind it, such as:
Male sperm is thoroughly examined for any type of abnormality, such as sperm quality, sperm production count, sperm motility, and so on.
This test is used to calculate how much blood sugar is bound to haemoglobin.
AMH (Anti-Mullerrian Hormone):
This test is designed to determine whether the female can develop eggs that can result in a successful pregnancy.
Some other fertility tests:
HB electrophoresis (HPLC) test;
HIV 1 & 2;
HBsAg (a test to check the presence of the hepatitis B virus in blood);
HCV (test to see if the hepatitis C virus was present in the past)
VDRL (a test to see if the person has an STI named syphilis)
For infertility workup and fertility tests, or for further information or assistance, visit Pahlajanis’ Women’s Hospital & IVF Clinic, or visit our website at www.pahlajanis.com.